Johnson & Johnson has issued a voluntary recall of several aerosol sunscreens due to detecting benzene, a human carcinogen, in the products. Johnson & Johnson has stated that exposure to benzene in these sunscreen products at the levels detected would not be expected to cause health problems, but has issued the recall out of an abundance of caution. Continued use of alternative sunscreens is still an extremely important part of sun protection and skin cancer protection.
For more information about the recall, please see this webpage: https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-consumer-inc-issues-voluntary-recall-of-specific-neutrogena-and-aveeno-aerosol-sunscreen-products-due-to-the-presence-of-benzene
We advise our patients to discontinue use of and to dispose of the recalled sunscreens:
• NEUTROGENA® Beach Defense® aerosol sunscreen,
• NEUTROGENA® Cool Dry Sport aerosol sunscreen,
• NEUTROGENA® Invisible Daily™ defense aerosol sunscreen,
• NEUTROGENA® Ultra Sheer® aerosol sunscreen, and
• AVEENO® Protect + Refresh aerosol sunscreen